RESEARCH PLATFORM | WORKSHOPS | COURSES | MASTERCLASSES
PAS | 80 "THE AIR IS NOT EMPTY"
21 – 25 September 2022 – Montreal (Canada)
A 5-day learning program on Performance Art practice in Montreal, Canada.
Led by the PAS | Team: BBB Johannes Deimling, Laurence Beaudoin Morin and Monika Deimling
Fee for the locals (based in Quebec): €115 ($150)
Early bird price: €210 for registrations until 7. August 2022
Regular fee: €260 (Price does NOT include travel and accommodation costs)
PRICE & APPLICATION DEADLINE
FEE FOR THE LOCALS: € 115 (Price does NOT include travel and accommodation costs)
EARLY BIRD PRICE: € 210 for registrations until 7 August 2022
PARTICIPATION FEE: € 260 (Price does NOT include travel and accommodation costs)
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: unless there are still free spots, applications end on 12 September 2022
Maximum 12 participants
21. September 2022: official start 10:00 am, place to be announced
21. – 24. September 2022: practical studies and research
25. September 2022: final presentation
25. September 2022: reflection and closing day, departure (earliest 8 pm)
- pedagogical, artistic and technical guidance of experienced German artist and performance art professor BBB Johannes Deimling, Canadian artist Laurence Beaudoin Morin and Polish artist Monika Deimling
- exploring performance art through a variety of unique performative exercises, experiments, games and assignments
- collaborating with other like-minded people with different experiences, backgrounds and nationalities
- program adjusted to the group dynamics and individual needs
- contacts with artists, curators and art institutions
- final public presentation in Montreal
- photo documentation by Monika Deimling and video documentation of the final presentation
- process publication, documenting the whole research study including the public performances
- tons of inspiration, practical and theoretical knowledge, new experiences
- and many more that is dependent on your engagement
CONCEPT "THE AIR IS NOT EMPTY"
Especially in the arts, there is this certain attraction for abandoned places and vacant lots. These free but often neglected spaces that had their history and glory days are still filled with options. Artists and art initiatives are often the first ones drawing attention to these places to reactivate them, to give them a new purpose and vision. Art pumps creative air into these forgotten places and lets them breathe – again. This air is not empty. Through artistic gatherings, these places become alive and a projection screen for ideas, exchange and communities. The revitalizing act is not only an artistic act but also a social, environmental, and political statement about what our times have sacrificed to the future and development.
The next step of these thoughts would be to ask if we as humans have such vacant lots or abandoned places within our existence? And if so, where are they located and also why we have abandoned them? The vacant lots in our lives are maybe located in our memory or in our life’s history, in our teenage wasteland time, in our unfulfilled desires, broken hopes and distorted visions. How to bring air again into these vacuums to refresh, reactive, to reuse and these places again? Since these human vacant lots are hidden in our bodies, performance art might be the right tool to activate them again, similar to a CPR practice to see if they still respond.
The artistic response to an abandoned space or a vacant lot (made of stone or flesh) is a spatial and time-based intervention in which another spirit is brought to ask questions and engage in dialogue. In PAS #80 | “The air is not empty” we will combine our personal vacant lots with existing vacant lots in Montreal to use the made research to create new performance art works bringing fresh air to our attention, awareness and perception.
PAS | TEAM FOR this program
BBB Johannes Deimling as a teacher
Visual artist working with performance art, film, drawing and sound. He is the founder and artistic director of PAS | Performance Art Studies.
Laurence Beaudoin Morin as a co-teacher
Visual artist working with performance art, painting and video. She is teacher and researcher of PAS | Performance Art Studies.
Monika Deimling as a critical observer and photographer
Visual artist working with photography, embroidery and film. She is a creative manager and photographer of PAS | Performance Art Studies.
FEEDBACK FROM PARTICIPANTS
By Farnoosh A. Nik
“You managed somehow to ACTIVATE my creative spirit and provided the opportunity to expose it to others and to hear from them and to look into other’s mind and to WATCH ACTIVELY and to LISTEN RESPONSIVELY which are amazing skills that I forgot I have and I forgot to pleasure them.“
By Kevin Meehan
“I very very very much appreciated the “there is no wrong or right” motto and you sticking to it! I have heard these very words from other teachers and then very quickly it is revealed that there is in fact a “wrong”. But throughout the PAS Study I felt a growing freedom, a deeper confidence, and a respect for my gut impulses.”
By Veronika Merklein
“And there it was: “Trust your image, your action, yourself!”. PAS empowered me to take MY (performance) art more serious, called my attention to the structures of performances, co-performers in performances and especially really precisely to materials and objects. All in all, I learnt a general attentiveness and it gave me the needed boost to grow up and risk.” – (Veronika Merklein)
For more feedback visit this page.
– How to register?
Please fill the form to register for the classes: here. Wait for the confirmation, transfer the fee and you are ready to go.
– I registered but didn’t cover the fee. Is my workshop spot reserved?
Unfortunately not, your place is fully booked only when you cover the fee.
– I am interested in Performance Art but have not much experience, can I take these classes?
Of course, you can, moreover, you should 😉 The PAS teaching method is structured in a way, that no matter what stage you are in you will gain from the process and can further develop your interests.
-I am already an experienced performance artist, will I learn anything new?
Yes, you will, under one condition – you will attend the class with full dedication 😉
– I would need a letter to apply for covering my participation fee. Can you provide such a letter?
No problem with that. You just need to provide us with some details and we can send you the letter.
– Can I apply for a scholarship?
Unfortunately, we cannot provide scholarships besides the lower price for local participants. However, we can support you by sending invitation letters if you want to apply for some grants.
– I am an art student at a university. Is it possible that my whole class takes part in this course?
Yes, reach out to us and we will help you with further steps.
Were your questions still not answered? Write us an email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fill the application form below.
- Wait for our confirmation.
- Transfer the fee.
PAS | APPLICATION FORM
In case you cannot see the application form above, click here.