RESEARCH PLATFORM | WORKSHOPS | COURSES | MASTERCLASSES
PAS | 79 "IN EVERY EMPTY BOTTLE IS A STORY"
11 – 17 September 2022 – Quebec City (Canada)
A 7-day learning program on Performance Art practice in collaboration with Le Lieu, Quebec, Canada.
Led by the PAS | Team: BBB Johannes Deimling, Laurence Beaudoin Morin and Monika Deimling
Scholarship for emerging artists living in Quebec City or Wendake (18-35 years old): free of charge
Regular fee: $150 (Price does NOT include travel and accommodation costs)
PRICE & APPLICATION DEADLINE
REGULAR FEE: $150
SCHOLARSHIP (free of charge*): For emerging artists living in Quebec City or Wendake, under 35 years old. Limited spots.
Prices does NOT include travel and accommodation costs.
FOOD (optional): $50, includes vegan lunch everyday.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: unless there are still free spots, applications end on 10 September 2022
Maximum 12 participants
* The scholarship is possible thanks to the “Première Ovation” grant.
11. September 2022: official start 10:00, place to be announced
11. – 16. September 2022: practical studies and research
16. September 2022: final presentation
17. September 2022: reflection and closing day, departure earliest 15:00
- pedagogical, artistic and technical guidance of experienced German artist and performance art professor BBB Johannes Deimling, Canadian artist Laurence Beaudoin Morin and Polish artist Monika Deimling
- exploring performance art through a variety of unique performative exercises, experiments, games and assignments
- collaborating with other like-minded people with different experiences, backgrounds and nationalities
- program adjusted to the group dynamics and individual needs
- contacts with artists, curators and art institutions
- final public presentation in Quebec City
- photo documentation by Monika Deimling and video documentation of the final presentation
- process publication, documenting the whole research study including the public performances
- tons of inspiration, practical and theoretical knowledge, new experiences
- and many more that is dependent on your engagement
CONCEPT "IN EVERY BOTTLE IS A MESSAGE"
A story that I tell myself is a very lonely story. This story would not have the chance to travel through other ears and minds and make its way around the world. It will not inspire, wonder, fascinate or bore and will at some point drown in the hole of forgetting. A story is made to be shared at least with one other person to unfold its magic. “A friend of mine told me…”, “I have heard a story that…” are the sentences where the told story extends its existence and continues to live on. It is important that stories live on, mainly when they speak about us as humans trying to maneuver in the precarity of life because they might be useful to others.
And sometimes talking can destroy atmosphere. Performance art practice has developed several ways to tell a story by using a completely different vocabulary. And that offers many options because some stories are difficult tell.
A first starting point to visual talking can be the gesture or the movement. Both transform an inner feeling, emotion into something that speaks very clearly. For instance, hands in motion can combine many sentences in one slight movement. A course of action is able to extend or even condense a moment in that we can combine with materials and objects. And that could already be an intensified dialogue. By placing the poetics into an artistic context or environment a rich expression emerges and words are then just obsolete.
Performance art uses an alphabet of actions, movements, gestures and many other features that works like a morse code. But we don’t need to decode the visuals because we are able to listen with our eyes and see with our ears.
In the 79. edition of PAS studies we want to have a closer look into performance making that addresses the huge variety of choices that we have to express our thoughts and artistic concepts that we want to share. How to start an artistic process from a gut feeling, from a vague idea and how to build visual bridges to the other. We want to open the research in all possible directions to find strategies to convey our stories, our content or our message. In this sense we need to collect many bottles and look for the stories inside.
PAS | TEAM FOR this program
BBB Johannes Deimling as a teacher
Visual artist working with performance art, film, drawing and sound. He is the founder and artistic director of PAS | Performance Art Studies.
Laurence Beaudoin Morin as a co-teacher
Visual artist working with performance art, painting and video. She is teacher and researcher of PAS | Performance Art Studies.
Monika Deimling as a critical observer and photographer
Visual artist working with photography, embroidery and film. She is a creative manager and photographer of PAS | Performance Art Studies.
FEEDBACK FROM PARTICIPANTS
By Farnoosh A. Nik
“You managed somehow to ACTIVATE my creative spirit and provided the opportunity to expose it to others and to hear from them and to look into other’s mind and to WATCH ACTIVELY and to LISTEN RESPONSIVELY which are amazing skills that I forgot I have and I forgot to pleasure them.“
By Kevin Meehan
“I very very very much appreciated the “there is no wrong or right” motto and you sticking to it! I have heard these very words from other teachers and then very quickly it is revealed that there is in fact a “wrong”. But throughout the PAS Study I felt a growing freedom, a deeper confidence, and a respect for my gut impulses.”
By Veronika Merklein
“And there it was: “Trust your image, your action, yourself!”. PAS empowered me to take MY (performance) art more serious, called my attention to the structures of performances, co-performers in performances and especially really precisely to materials and objects. All in all, I learnt a general attentiveness and it gave me the needed boost to grow up and risk.” – (Veronika Merklein)
For more feedback visit this page.
– How to register?
Please fill the form to register for the classes: here. Wait for the confirmation, transfer the fee and you are ready to go.
– I registered but didn’t cover the fee. Is my workshop spot reserved?
Unfortunately not, your place is fully booked only when you cover the fee.
– I am interested in Performance Art but have not much experience, can I take these classes?
Of course, you can, moreover, you should 😉 The PAS teaching method is structured in a way, that no matter what stage you are in you will gain from the process and can further develop your interests.
-I am already an experienced performance artist, will I learn anything new?
Yes, you will, under one condition – you will attend the class with full dedication 😉
– I would need a letter to apply for covering my participation fee. Can you provide such a letter?
No problem with that. You just need to provide us with some details and we can send you the letter.
– Can I apply for a scholarship?
Yes, this program offers the scholarship for emerging artists, living in Quebec City, between 18 – 35 years old. Other then this, we can support you by sending invitation letters if you want to apply for some grants.
– I am an art student at a university. Is it possible that my whole class takes part in this course?
Yes, reach out to us and we will help you with further steps.
Were your questions still not answered? Write us an email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fill the application form below.
- Wait for our confirmation.
- Transfer the fee.
PAS | APPLICATION FORM
In case you cannot see the application form above, click here.